Content quality has become a critical factor in determining a website’s visibility and ranking. Surfer SEO, a powerful tool for optimizing content, assigns a content score to evaluate the effectiveness of web pages.
Understanding how to increase your content score on Surfer SEO can significantly impact your site’s performance and organic traffic. This article will provide a comprehensive outline of strategies and best practices to elevate your content score and get the most out of Surfer SEO.
- Surfer SEO Review and Tutorial
- How Much Does Surfer SEO Cost?
- Does Surfer SEO Have a Free Trial?
- Is Surfer SEO Good for Keyword Research?
What Is a Good Surfer SEO Content Score?
Surfer SEO content score is a metric that evaluates the quality and effectiveness of a web page’s content. It considers various factors such as keyword usage, content structure, and relevance to the search query.
Here’s a video about Surfer SEO’s content score:
A good Surfer SEO content score typically ranges between 70 to 80. Such a score would indicate that the content is well-optimized and has a high potential to rank on search engines (doesn’t hurt to aim for 90 and beyond).
However, it’s essential to note that the content score alone doesn’t guarantee a high ranking. Other factors like backlinks, website authority, and user experience also play a crucial role in determining your website’s visibility on searches.
Therefore, while aiming for a good Surfer SEO content score, it’s essential to focus on creating high-quality content that resonates with your desired audience while also taking into account the other ranking factors.
How Can You Boost Your Surfer SEO Content Score?
Below are some practical tips for increasing your content score on Surfer SEO.
1. Write a Good SEO Title
This is where all the content score magic begins. A good SEO title for your content will kickstart your optimization efforts the right way.
The SEO title is a crucial on-page SEO element that directly impacts click-through rates from search engine results pages (SERPs). More people clicking on it signifies to the search engine that people prefer your content.
But that’s just the start because you have to keep them reading. If they click back immediately or after just a short while without exploring your site, your ranking will start to go lower (it shows that the reader didn’t find your site helpful).
If you want to write a well-crafted SEO title, do the following:
- Include the primary target keyword at the beginning of the title to signal relevance to search engines and users.
- Craft a compelling and descriptive title that accurately reflects the content’s topic and value proposition to potential readers.
- Keep the title within the recommended length to ensure that it displays fully in search results and adheres to best practices for SEO.
2. Build a Comprehensive Outline
Building a comprehensive outline is also essential for boosting the content score on Surfer SEO right at the beginning. An outline serves as a roadmap for creating well-structured, informative, and engaging content.
Here’s the importance of a comprehensive outline:
- An outline helps organize thoughts and ideas and makes the content flow logically and cohesively.
- It allows for better incorporation of targeted keywords and relevant subtopics, which are essential for SEO optimization.
- A well-structured outline can enhance readability and user experience, both of which are factors that contribute to a higher content score.
Below is how you can build a comprehensive outline:
- Start by conducting thorough research on the topic to gather relevant information and key points.
- Identify the primary focus and subtopics that will be covered in the content.
- Arrange the subtopics in a logical order to create a cohesive flow of information.
- Incorporate targeted keywords naturally within the outline so they’re smoothly integrated into the content.
Remember, you can simplify your work by leveraging Surfer SEO’s content editor to analyze top-ranking pages for the target keyword. This can provide insights into the structure and subtopics covered by high-performing content.
Surfer SEO’s AI-generated blog outline is also useful. You just need to review and edit the outline it produces to ensure it covers all the important concepts.
3. Meet the Target Word Count
Meeting the target word count is another essential factor in boosting the content score on Surfer SEO. Surfer SEO’s recommendations for target word count are based on the analysis of top-ranking pages for the target keyword.
Here’s the importance of meeting the target word count:
- Search engines often favor comprehensive and in-depth content, which is typically reflected in higher word counts.
- Longer content provides more opportunities to naturally incorporate relevant keywords and cover a broader range of subtopics, signaling to search engines that the content is authoritative and comprehensive.
- Meeting the target word count also allows for a more thorough exploration of the topic, providing value to readers and potentially increasing engagement metrics, such as time on page.
Below is how you can meet the target word count effectively:
- Conduct thorough research to gather a wealth of information and insights related to the topic.
- Ensure that the content is comprehensive and covers all relevant subtopics and aspects of the main subject matter.
- Avoid fluff and filler content; instead, focus on providing valuable and insightful information that aligns with the target word count.
You just need to use Surfer SEO’s content editor to track the word count and ensure that it aligns with the recommended range for optimal SEO performance.
4. Break Your Content Into Subheadings and Paragraphs
Large blocks of text are not good for reading. People want to easily skim through your content and find what they need.
You need to break your content into subheadings and paragraphs because:
- Subheadings provide a clear structure and improve the readability of the content. It becomes easier for both readers and search engines to understand the organization of the information.
- Well-structured paragraphs help maintain a reader-friendly format, preventing large blocks of text that can be overwhelming and discouraging for readers.
- Subheadings also allow for better incorporation of targeted keywords and related terms. They contribute to improved keyword optimization.
To break down your content, simply:
- Identify key subtopics and sections within the content that can be effectively organized under distinct subheadings.
- Use descriptive and keyword-rich subheadings that accurately reflect the content of each section.
- Break down the content into concise paragraphs, each focusing on a specific point or idea related to the subheading.
Based on Surfer SEO analysis of the top-ranking pages, the tool provides you with the required number of headings and paragraphs. Simply follow the suggestion to increase your score.
5. Add the Suggested Terms to the Text
Suggested terms, also known as related keywords or semantic variations, help search engines understand the context and relevance of the content to a broader range of topics and user queries. Including suggested terms in the text can enhance the overall keyword optimization, increasing the content’s potential to rank for a wider array of relevant search queries.
You simply need to identify relevant suggested terms provided by Surfer SEO based on its analysis of top-ranking pages and related semantic keywords. These terms, because they appear on the pages already ranking, would increase the chances of your content ranking too.
Make sure that you Integrate suggested terms naturally within the content. They have to align with the context and flow of the writing without appearing forced or out of place.
Also, distribute the terms throughout your content to create a well-rounded coverage of the topic. You can use Surfer SEO Terms Assistant to automatically add these words and phrases into your text in all the right places.
6. Answer Frequently Asked Questions
Answering frequently asked questions (FAQs) within your content is a valuable strategy for enhancing the relevance, comprehensiveness, and user engagement of your material. Addressing common questions and concerns directly within your content demonstrates a thorough understanding of the topic and provides valuable information to your audience.
You can answer FAQs by doing the following:
- Identify common questions related to your content’s topic by conducting research, analyzing user queries, and reviewing industry-specific forums or communities.
- Incorporate the FAQs naturally within your content, either as standalone sections or integrated within relevant sections to provide contextually appropriate answers.
- Ensure that your answers are clear and concise, and provide valuable insights or solutions to the questions posed.
7. Incorporate Images Into Your Content
If you didn’t know, images can enhance the visual appeal and engagement of the content, making it more attractive and shareable to readers. Including relevant images is the top way to improve the overall user experience because they serve as visual aids that help readers understand your content better.
Images can also contribute to the keyword optimization of the content by providing additional context and relevance to search engines. This happens through the image alt (alternative) text, a section where you can add more terms so you appear on image searches as well.
To incorporate images into your content, boost your Surfer content score, and rank higher, do these:
- Choose high-quality images that are relevant to the content and align with the overall tone and style of the writing.
- Optimize the images for search engines by including descriptive file names, alt tags, and captions that incorporate relevant keywords and related terms.
- Ensure that the images are appropriately sized and compressed to minimize page load times and enhance user experience.
That’s it! If you follow all these tips, your content score on Surfer SEO, or even alternative content optimization tools like it, will surely go up.
It’s how you can go from a score of 0 to 80 and above. I mean, following all the suggestions from Surfer SEO isn’t the easiest thing to do.
It can take some effort to ensure you’ve ticked off all the recommendations. But you need to do it to make sure that your content is ready to rank.
Combine your Surfer SEO optimization efforts with other essential SEO practices and your site will attract more traffic!