When people talk about AI-generated content, one concern tends to come up almost every time — a machine is what writes the text without the involvement of a human writer.
You may have once considered using an AI to write but thought it would not do the job well for you. Or you’re already using one but don’t know how to humanize the text and make it sound as though it was written by a person.
True to say, most quality AI content writer tools can produce well-articulated content that’s free of grammar errors and plagiarism. Still, there are things you can do to make the text better and more valuable for your readers.
In this article, I’ll share the best tips on how to humanize AI-generated content. By the end, you’ll no longer be worried about using an AI tool for writing to enhance productivity.
Why Should You Humanize AI Content?
There are several reasons why you should humanize AI content:
- Improved user experience: Humanizing AI content makes it more relatable and engaging for users. If you add your natural conversational language and a friendly tone, your text won’t sound robotic such that readers have a hard time comprehending.
- Increased trust and credibility: When AI content sounds more human-like, it can help build trust with users. People are more likely to trust your information if presented familiarly and authentically.
- Accuracy: Most AI text generators rely on the data they access during their training. You may find that an AI tool provides inaccurate data ( such as company details, statistics, or quotes) that you need to edit.
- Emotional connection: By humanizing AI content, you can evoke emotions and create a connection with users. This can lead to a more positive and memorable user experience.
- Brand representation: Humanizing AI content allows you to align the AI’s personality and communication style with your brand. This consistency helps reinforce your brand image and values.
- Search engine visibility: By humanizing AI text, you can place keywords in all the right sections of your article. Still, many AI writing tools are smart enough to incorporate keywords into your content.
- Conversion rate optimization: While AI tools can write persuasive copy, you may have your own formula or specific key phrases that increase your conversion rates.
As you can see, humanizing AI content brings in several benefits that help to pass your message as you desire.
Tips to Humanize AI Content
Below are the methods to make AI-written text sound more human (most of which I’ve used before).
1. Choose a High-Quality AI Tool for Writing
It all begins with choosing the right AI writing tool. If the tool is of exceptional quality, you’ll just do a little to humanize the text.
But if the tool is of poor quality, the content will likely sound robotic. You may have to get rid of significant portions of text and make many changes for it to work.
Now, AI writing tools use various language models to generate the content for you. Among the popular language models is the Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT) series by OpenAI.
GPT 3 came out in 2020 and was best suited for completing text. You just provide your input and it produces additional text for you.
GPT 3.5 and GPT 4 are better trained to provide more accurate and coherent text in a shorter time. GPT 4 is currently the most recent version.
It would help if you use an AI writer that’s powered by GPT 3 in the least. You can be sure of quality text that has few mistakes, if any.
Check out my full list of the best GPT 3 tools. Most of them have even upgraded to recent versions.
Jasper is one of the most popular AI writers that have popularized the concept of AI content for writing faster. This tool can help you craft content of any length, whether you need 250 words or 3,000 words.
The thing about Jasper is that it provides you with templates for your various writing needs. For instance, you can use it to write blog posts, product descriptions, emails, social media posts, and more.
You can use it to create images of different styles. It doesn’t matter whether you need something photorealistic, painted, or cartoon-like.
But what I like about Jasper the most is Jasper Chat. This is Jasper’s AI chat assistant.
The chatbot can help you craft anything text-based right in the chats. You can also use Jasper Chat to paraphrase or summarize existing text.
Check out my Jasper review for additional details.
Writesonic is another good AI tool that can help you craft human-sounding content in seconds. You won’t have to spend lots of time trying to find a proper topic or writing your initial draft.
It’s one of the AI writers that focuses on providing factual content that aligns with the needs of your brands. Also, the blog content it generates is SEO-optimized.
Writesonic does not stop there. It offers image generation too.
What’s interesting is that you can generate images with Chatsonic, Writesonic’s AI chatbot. Just describe what you need and you’ll get it.
As a side note, writesonic also features an audio generator, Audiosonic, and Botsonic, a no-code chatbot builder.
Anyword is quite easy to use compared to other tools like it. You simply enter a product name and a short description and it does the rest for you.
Be sure to read my Anyword review for more info.
2. Provide Better Input to the AI Tool
The way you interact with an AI writing tool can influence the kind of output it gives you. You need to be descriptive enough and instruct the AI what and what not to do.
This especially works if you’re using a chat assistant tool that’s AI-powered. For instance, I’ve gotten better output from ChatGPT by tweaking my input and descriptions.
You can even command the tool you’re using to use a specific tone and avoid or incorporate specific words. Do so and you’ll notice that the tool provides better and more human-sounding content.
3. Pass the Text Through an AI Detector
If you’re worried about your AI-written content being identified by others, you can use an AI detector to check the portion of identifiable AI text. Such a tool can show you the percentage of AI content compared to human-written text.
You can benefit from an AI detector because it makes your work easier. It becomes possible to make tweaks and remove the instances of AI text in all the right places.
A good AI content detector is Originality.ai. This tool can detect content from popular language models and ChatGPT.
4. Use a Conversational Tone
Using conversational language is crucial in humanizing AI content because it helps create a more natural and relatable interaction with users. Many well-established AI writers give you the option to select any tone, including a conversational one.
However, there are more ways to incorporate conversational language into your content:
- Avoid formal or technical jargon: If the AI text has any complex or industry-specific terms, replace them with simple and everyday language that the average person can understand. This makes the content more accessible and relatable.
- Use pronouns and contractions: Incorporate pronouns like “you” and “we” to create a sense of direct conversation with the user. Additionally, use contractions like “you’re” and “we’re” to mimic the way people naturally speak.
- Ask questions: You can add questions to the text to encourage user engagement. This creates sort of a back-and-forth conversation and makes the reader feel like they are actively participating in an actual interaction.
- Shorten longer sentences: It would help to eliminate long or convoluted explanations and write in short and easily digestible sentences. This way, the text flows smoothly and your readers can quickly understand the information.
5. Inject Your Personality
Injecting personality into AI-written content is a powerful way to humanize it and create a better experience for your audience. It would usually be something you do when you write blog posts yourself.
I’ll tell you right now that AI systems can be programmed to adopt a specific tone and style of writing that aligns with a desired personality. For example, the AI can be programmed to sound friendly, professional, humorous, or even formal, depending on the context and target audience.
However, there are things you can do to make the generated text sound more human:
- Add your signature words, phrases, or sayings: There might be a word or phrase you like to put into your posts. Including it in the AI-generated content will make it look like you really wrote it.
- Use of humor and wit: If you incorporate humor and wit into AI-written content, it becomes more entertaining. You can add jokes, puns, or playful language to create a lighthearted and enjoyable conversation with users (mimicking the way humans use humor in interactions).
- Personalized recommendations: It helps a lot to include personalized recommendations or suggestions in any content. This idea makes the text meet individual users’ interests and needs.
6. Apply Storytelling Techniques
Storytelling is a powerful tool that has been used for centuries to convey emotions, create connections, and humanize experiences. While AI can generate accurate and informative content, it often lacks the ability to infuse it with personal stories and experiences.
This is where storytelling comes in. You can incorporate narratives, characters, and plots into AI-generated text to bridge the gap between cold, algorithmic output and the warmth of human expression.
Storytelling allows AI-written content to connect with readers on an emotional level. Stories have the power to evoke empathy, stir curiosity, and trigger a range of emotions.
7. Refer to Recent Events
AI tools normally provide data based on their training, which can be outdated. To humanize the text, you could take the approach of referring to events that occurred recently.
One thing you can do is include news updates in your text. You can provide your users with new data, research findings, or stats to make your content up-to-date.
This can include summarizing recent events, sharing key details, or offering insights or analysis. Another thing to do is talk about various trending topics in your niche.
8. Update Facts and Figures
The last tip on how to humanize AI content is updating the facts and figures in it. You need to go through the text and identify things such as company info like names and other brand details, statistics, and quotes.
Be sure to verify the aforementioned data and make updates if needed. Another thing to do is link to credible sources to support any claims you’ve included in the text if it’s blog content.
Your readers can follow the external links for more information and search engines will associate your content with credibility.
Humanizing AI Content: Conclusion
As you’ve seen, it’s possible to humanize text generated using AI and make it sound more like it was produced by a human writer. Apply the tips I’ve listed and your content will no longer sound robotic any time you use AI.
Something to keep in mind is that you shouldn’t deceive people about using AI writing tools. It’s best, if applicable, to disclose AI usage.
You can mention the methods you’ve used to humanize the text and how beneficial it is compared to others on the Web. Your readers will thank you as long as there’s value in it.
Read also: Will AI Replace Writers?